This workshop will serve as the Founding Meeting for the User Consortium of the “Helmholtz International Beamline for Extreme Fields” (HIBEF) to be located at the High Energy Density (HED) instrument of the European XFEL. The initial proposal of the HIBEF User Consortium, coordinated by the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) and DESY (www.hzdr.de/hgfbeamline), was endorsed by the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) and the council of the European XFEL in summer of 2012. The goal of the User Consortium is to bring together the community to establish instrumentation creating “Extreme Fields” including high powered optical lasers (ultra-intense fs, and high energy ns-pulse lasers) and pulsed high-field magnets that would benefit significantly from the probing capabilities of the highly brilliant beam of the European XFEL at the HED instrument.During the workshop we will try to establish
- the Organization of the User Consortium for the “Helmholtz International Beamline for Extreme Fields”,
- discuss in-kind contribution of the different consortium members,
- discuss synergies with other user consortia at European XFEL,
- and finalize the proposal that will be submitted to the German Helmholtz Association for funding a major portion of the HIBEF facilities and instrumentation.
Within the consortium, the following research areas are pursued:
1) High Energy Density States of Matter
a. Warm Dense Matter and Hot Dense Matter
b. WDM in Planetary Science
c. Matter at Extreme Compression
2) Ultra-High-Field Electrodynamics and related phenomena
3) Structural evolution of processes on atomic timescales
4) X-ray magnetic absorption and scattering in pulsed high fields
5) Relativistic Laser-Solid Interaction Physics
All research groups that have expressed their intent to collaborate in the User Consortium, and any other parties interested in participating in the User Consortium, are strongly encouraged to attend this meeting. The workshop will be organized on the DESY campus in Hamburg from the 3rd – 5th of June 2013.