Some examples of things to do are shown below:
- Visit Zugspitze: The Zugspitze is Germany’s tallest mountain with a height of 2,962m. It can be reached by cog railway or funicular (currently closed, unfortunately, due to repair works; may be re-opened in Feb) from Grainau. On the top you will find a glacier, some restaurants, etc. (https://englisch.grainau.de/en/leisure_and_activities/cable-cars)
- Grainau village: Grainau is a small mountain village about 15-20 minutes from the hotel by foot. The tourist information in Grainau organises quite a lot of activities, including guided walks, snow shoe walks, torch hikes, etc. As German carnival occurs at the end of Feb / beginning of March, there may also be some events related to this happening: https://englisch.grainau.de/en/leisure_and_activities/winter-fun.
- Skiing: There are two ski areas close by, one on the Zugspitze and another one in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Garmisch-Classic-Area). Prices for ski passes are around 45€ for one full day, longer or shorter passes are also available. Additionally, ski rental is available (https://www.skiverleih-garmisch.com/) and there is a ski school in Grainau (http://www.skischule-zugspitze.de/). More information here: https://zugspitze.de/en/winter.
- Walking & hiking: The area also offers a lot of walking routes that you can go on without a guide. Very close to the hotel, for example, is the Eibsee, a lake which offers many different routes.
- Partnachklamm: This is a 700m long, up to 80m deep gorge close to Grainau. It is open b
etween 9am and 6pm in winter and can be visited for a 5€ entry fee.
- Schloss Neuschwanstein: Built in the 19th century, Schloss Neuschwanstein is today one of the most visited castles in Europe. In winter it is open every day between 10am and 4pm and can be visited through a guided tour. Tickets are available to pre-book online (as it can get very busy apparently) or at the ticket center in Hohenschwangau (13€ per person). From Grainau it can be reached by bus / train (2.5-3.5 hours) or you can get there by car. More information here: http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/admiss.htm.
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the next closest town in the area. It offers a historic town centre, an Olympic ski jumping hill and other attractions. Garmisch-Partenkirchen is about 30 minutes away by bus from Grainau and the hotel. More information here: https://www.gapa.de/en/Ort-Umgebung_en/Attractions.
General information about public transport in the area can be found on the following website: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml. This may not include all local options, but can be used to access train and most bus schedules and connections.