Face the Challenge, Make a Difference!
Public Engagement as a Key to Successful Proposal Writing
This workshop will teach the basics of public engagement and impact oriented proposal design. Course contents will be interactive and contain exercises.
It is organized as a transferable skills workshop by the PIER Education Platform (PEP) and open to all PhD students or postdoctoral researchers in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science or structural biology at DESY or Universität Hamburg.
Duration: 6 hours
Target group: Up to 30 early career researchers related to PIER Facilitation
When: October 28, 10 am - 4 pm (if attended events won't be possible, the workshop will be offered as 2 half-day sessions on October 28, 2 - 5 pm & October 29, 9 am - 12 pm)
Part I: Public Engagement
- From “deficit” to “dialogue”, from “result-oriented” to “processes-oriented” communication: Introduction to Public Engagement
- Where are my benefits in engaging with non-academic partners? Which capacities do I get? Where can I use these skills?
- From “topic-driven” to “challenge-driven” research and innovation – where is the difference – and why should I care?
- Interactive part of the workshop: What´s your story? Who could be interested in listening? Design a dialogue-oriented communication idea for your research project
Part II: Impact Oriented Proposal Design
- Overview of trends in national and European funding scenarios, especially HORIZON Europe, BMBF, DFG
- Explanation of key terminologies and their meaning in funding contexts
- Introduction to impact-oriented proposal design
- Role of dissemination strategies and stakeholder engagement in EU and national funding programs
- Practical tips and tricks on writing impact-oriented proposals
- Interactive part of the workshop: Describe potential impacts of your own research project / a project that you are involved in AND/OR design a stakeholder engagement strategy for your project
This workshop will be offered by the city2science GmbH, which is an international focused company for science communication and strategy consulting. Their core competencies are conception, moderation, organisation and provision of interactive conversational workshops.