The DESY Ukraine Winter School 31 January - 10 March 2023 provides physics students enrolled at a Ukrainian university the opportunity to obtain first-hand research experience at a big international laboratory. Students are invited for a 6 weeks training period to DESY Hamburg or Zeuthen and experience research in one of the various fields pursued at DESY:
- Astroparticle physics
- Elementary particle physics
- Photon science
Research projects can be categorised into different types of activities: practical work on detectors or experimental equipment, physics data analysis, software development, and theory. The available research projects will be listed on the Research Projects page.
The project work is complemented by a lecture program illuminating the fundamental physics of DESY research.
An overview of all events/lectures of the school can be found here.
The detailed schedule is under construction at this page.
You will need to meet the following requirements to qualify for the school:
- You are a student enrolled at a Ukrainian university and have completed at least 3 years of university level studies by Autumn 2022.
- You have not obtained your masters degree by the time of the school
- Students of any nationality enrolled at a Ukrainian university are invited to apply.
- Good knowledge of English
DESY is looking forward to collaborating with you. In return, we will offer:
- a guest allowance
- free accommodation at DESY (Hostel)
- at least partial reimbursement of travel costs
Online applications for the school will be open during November 1-21, 2022, via the Registration tool. The selection of the participating students will be done by the DESY groups offering projects and the students will be informed of the outcome of their application (accept/reject) by December 10, 2022.
Olaf Behnke (co-chair), Gernot Maier (co-chair), Stefan Ohm (co-chair), Friederike Januschek, Frank Lehner, Andreas Przystawik and Martin Sandhop. For questions please contact us by writing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org